Online First Aid Class
A stroke is a medical emergency that occurs when blood stops flowing to part of the brain. It can happen when a blood vessel in the brain becomes blocked or begins to leak.
It is important to recognize the signs of a stroke and provide immediate medical treatment. Treatment provided in the first hours after a stroke occurs can help to minimize damage and aid in recovery.
Warning Signs of a Stroke:
You can use the FAST method of to remember the warning signs of a stroke. FAST stands for Face, Arms, Speech, and Time.
Helping a Stroke Victim
If you think someone is having a stroke, follow these steps:
- ● Activate EMS: Call, or have someone else call 9-1-1
- ● Get a first aid kit and AED
- ● Note the time when the stroke signs first appeared
- ● Remain with the stroke victim until someone with more advanced training arrives and can take over
- ● If the person becomes unresponsive or stops breathing normally, or is only able to gasp, give CPR
Instructor: Mike Figuero
Publish Date: 2018-04-02
Last Updated: 2018-04-07
TAKE TEST NOW