Online CPR/AED/First-Aid Class
Your Role in the EMS System
Your role as a first aid responder is to:
When you call 9-1-1, you activate the network of emergency medical services (EMS)
- ● Recognize when an emergency exists
- ● Make sure that the scene is safe
- ● Call 9-1-1
- ● Provide care until someone with more advanced emergency training arrives
Asking to Give First Aid
When you come upon an ill or injured person, and they are responsive, introduce yourself as a first aid provider and ask if you may help them before touching them. Everyone has the right to refuse first aid.
Ask if you can help:
- ● If they agree, provide first aid.
- ● If they refuse, call 9-1-1 and stay with them until help arrives.
- ● If they are confused or cannot answer, assume they want help and provide first aid.
In every emergency, follow these steps:
- ● Assess the scene
- ● Phone for help
- ● Take universal precautions
- ● Find the problem
- ● Protect the person’s privacy
Instructor: Mike Figuero
Publish Date: 2018-04-02
Last Updated: 2018-08-18